When your book goes on sale, you want readers and reviewers to be caught up in the story — not distracted by errors.
At Bookside Manner, I provide affordable copyediting and proofreading services for all genres of fiction and all lengths, from short stories to epic novels.
Because I’m also the author of four independently published novels, I know firsthand the importance of having your manuscript professionally edited. Readers will notice the errors that can slip through even the most dedicated self-editing. I’ll work with you to make your novel as polished and error-free as possible.
Services and rates
Bookside Manner is here for you with:
- Make final check of spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and basic grammar.
- Make final check for duplicate words, minor formatting issues, and spacing.
- Rates: $0.007/word (for example: $70/10,000 words)
- Check for correct spelling and punctuation.
- Check consistency in names, terms, grammar, and verb tense.
- Correct basic grammar errors.
- Call attention to word repetition and advanced grammar issues requiring rewrites of sentences.
- Plot holes or inconsistencies may be noted in comments at the editor’s discretion.
- Rates: $0.009/word (for example: $90/10,000 words)
Includes copyediting (see above) and editing for style. This includes comments and recommendations on subjective language issues such as:
- wordy, awkward, confusing, or redundant language
- “purple prose”
- overuse of words, phrases, and constructions
- problems with wording flow
- Rates: $0.01/word (for example: $100/10,000 words)
Start with a free sample edit
Send in a 2,000-word excerpt of your manuscript, and let me know what services you need.*
I will line edit, copyedit, or proofread the excerpt and return it to you with edits, changes, and comments. This will let you know if Bookside Manner’s services are right for you. It will also ensure that I am providing your manuscript with the right level of editing. Along with the edited excerpt, I will send a final quote for the project.
*If you aren’t sure what level of editing services you need, please let me know. I will be happy to make a recommendation based on the excerpt.
When you’re ready to start
Please provide a Microsoft Word document (either .doc or .docx). I will then send you an invoice for half of the total cost (the second half is payable on completion of editing), as well as an estimated deadline. Payments can be made via Paypal.
What you will get
Once I receive your initial payment, I will read through your manuscript twice. Suggested edits and changes will be in line with The Chicago Manual of Style (16th Edition) and Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary (11th Edition).
When editing is complete, you’ll receive a Word document with all edits made in “track changes.” All comments/questions/suggestions will be in the same document, inserted as comments. You have the final decision on accepting any changes.
About Bookside Manner
My name is Kelly Cozy. I’ve been an editor for more than two decades, and will put my expertise to work for you and your manuscript. My qualifications include:
- Bachelor of Arts in English (Creative Writing) and Bachelor of Science in Journalism from the University of Missouri at Columbia
- More than two decades of experience as an editor.
- Editing experience includes fiction, memoir, and nonfiction/business communications.
- Author of four independently published novels.
Because I am a writer as well as an editor, I understand the importance of maintaining your voice and style. To learn more about my services, or if you have questions about suggested changes, please contact me.